miércoles, 31 de julio de 2019

EMMA ALLEN, dreamer and magical


Emma is a kid's books illustrator from Kent in England. She went at Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design in London. I like her drawings full of magic. Her dream was to become and illustrator. And now she is a famous illustrator. Welcome Emma to my blog!



--When did you begin this incredible way to illustration? It is a wonderful world. 

Everything started with the London Art College and a course I took in Illustrating for Children’s Books. The course helped me to focus, learn techniques and learn about the world of illustration. Just before I finished the course I was contacted by my first client, who I still work with today, and it all went from there. I spent time gradually improving my portfolio, learning all I could about both illustration technique and the business of illustration, and building up my list of clients.


--How many books have you illustrated? Tell me about one please. 

I have illustrated four traditional children’s picture books for publishers, three children’s e-books (but which are soon to be printed traditionally as well), numerous picture books for authors who are self-publishing, six bespoke books for schools, and also a picture book for a company to accompany a children’s product, so quite a few at this point. I am currently working on two more books for clients at the moment, as well as a picture book of my own that I am working on between commissions. One that stands out for me is ‘Garden Party – A Counting Adventure Book’ which was written by Tania Guarino and published by Clear Fork Publishing. I loved working on that book, Tania’s writing is so clever and full of joy, and the subject matter was animals and with everything set out of doors, which I love: 

www.clearforkpublishing.com/store/p137/GardenParty.html


--Which are your favorite technique that you like to use in your job? 

I love working in watercolour paints. For me that is the best part of any commission, the moment when I have a drawing in front of me and my paints ready and I can start to add colour to bring the illustration to life. For me other key points to creating a successful illustration with watercolours would be to stretch the paper first so that it is nice and flat and will not buckle when wet, to try out lots of good quality papers to see which ones you like to work on as good paper is essential for a good result, and to think very hard about the colours you are going to use before your brush touches the paper.


--You worked at a magazine. And one day you decided to begin to draw? 

Yes, I worked for a number of different magazines during my twenties in design and lay-out, but illustration was what I had always intended to pursue when I was growing up and when I came to a crossroads in my life I decided to follow my dream of illustrating. It was the birth of my daughter that had me stepping back and re-assessing my life and where I truly wanted it to go. But working in magazine production actually taught me a lot of skills I can use in illustration such as Photoshop and getting files ready for print, working to deadlines etc.


--Can you tell to new illustrators which many steps they need to make to become an excellent illustrator like you? 

I think the route into illustration can be different for different people. I studied through college as a more mature student to gain a diploma, others go straight from school to university to gain a degree and go on from there, others may do neither. 

But the most important thing is your portfolio – have an excellent portfolio and never stop working to improve it. My portfolio has changed constantly over the years because I am always striving to get better and I always will, I will never be complacent. 

Developing your illustration style comes with time and in some ways it can’t really be rushed, just keep being inspired by the things that you see and learn and that should find its way into your work. And then, when you feel your portfolio is strong enough, do all that you can to promote yourself and get your work noticed. A website is very important, online is where most people might find you.


--Where do you find the inspiration to make a drawings in a book? 

I’m always inspired by other illustrators, I love looking at the amazing talent and range of artwork out there in the world, I am constantly astonished and interested by the things I see. For a specific book I might be working on I will always research the subject matter and do sketches, but I think inspiration comes mainly from the words of the author you are illustrating for, your own inner passion for illustration, and from picture books illustrated by artists you admire.


--I am sure authors and illustrators are dreamers to make their jobs. What do you think about?

Yes, I think they are dreamers, speaking for myself I would definitely say that I am. I think it is a good thing to be when you are creating for children and it helps to have a good imagination. 

Thanks so much.
All the best.
Emma.


Emma Allen - Illustrator
www.emmaallenillustrator.co.uk











Thanks to Emma to say yes to my questions. It is a pleasure to show her art into my blog.

Leticia Teresa Pontoni.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Por favor no se permite lenguaje obsceno o insultante. Gracias.